Thursday, March 22, 2007

Been a LONG while

I admit it. I'm lazy. Extremely so. Therefore, while I have been watching many movies, and playing many games, I haven't felt the least inclined to post. Bad me. Only slightly in my defense is that I have recently moved up from 2 part-time jobs to about4 part-time jobs PLUS I am now taking a Korean Martial Arts called Hap Ki Do. Which are all good things, just leaves me much less "me" time on the computer, and the call of Guild Wars is strong!



So, what I've watched most recently is Eragon. Now, while my husband and daughter have both read the book, I have not. And I decided not to read until after I saw the mivoe. Why? you may ask? Because of experience with Jurassic Park. I knew people who had read the book and were so disappointed with the movie. I hadn't read the book and loved the movie. After that I read the book, and saw of course all the major differences. But, since I saw the movie first, I enjoyed bith the movie and the book as separate entities instead of comparing them to each other. I'm hoping the same will stand with Eragon. That said, I suppose I enjoyed the movie. It really did feel as if things were missing, though. It's like, even without having read the book I could just tell that I wasn't being told everything. I'm very familiar with the time limitations that make adapting a book to film difficult, leading to alterations in character, timing, plot twists, etc. Things like that generally do not bother me as long as the changes aren't contrary to the gist of the whole work. I get the idea from my family that big changes like that weren't the problem, but that somehow, as Durza says of Eragon himself, they just expected something ....well ..... more.......

Now, as far as appropriateness goes. In the general categories of sexuality, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Nary even a kiss to be had between any characters. Violence, well we are talking about dragons and battles and good versus evil. Yeah, there's violence, although the battle sequences were few, short and rather bloodless as it goes. The only consideration would be for those kids who trouble with "disturbing images." The sight of Durza's minions is a bit, shall we say, creepy. And Durza himself, especially once he is presented in full light as opposed to shadowy caves, is also a little beyond creepy. Now, a little more for those who harbor opposition to the use of magic. Yes, this is a fantasy movie, and dragon lore itself tends to always lean towards the magical. In this case, the dragons are pure magic, and the dragon-riders become magicians through their connection with their dragons. So, yes, magic figures somewhat prominently into the equation in this movie. So, unless you have issues with the last two items mentioned - I can safely reccomend this as a family-friendly movie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home